1. Chose leaner cuts of meat
2. Downsize meat portions. Choose low fat cheeses.
3. Cook with olive or vegetable oil instead of butter or margarine.
4. Use tofu or nuts in stir-fries instead of meats.
5. Try adding a slice of avocado instead of cheese to a sandwich.
6. Enjoy a baked potato instead of fries, and some low fat yogurt instead of sour cream.
7. Switch to a lower fat milk.
8. Substitute butter milk instead of mayonnaise in salad dressings, or instead of butter in mashed potatoes.
9. Add more beans and vegetables to casseroles and chilli.
10. Enjoy fruit served with frozen sherbet or low fat frozen yogurt instead of ice-cream for dessert.
Some Benefits of Fasting
Better resistance to disease
Change of habits
(vision, hearing, taste)
(mentally and emotionally)
Reduction of allergies
Rest for digestive organs
Right use of will
from Staying Healthy with Nutrition,
by Elson Haas, M.D.
Today\'s recipe. One quick tip is to pressure cook the channa dal with very little water and for only 2 whistles. Even better, not to pressure cook, but to par boil them till cooked but not mushy in a large pan with salted boiling water. In fact, unlike otherSundals , this does not require any soaking time at all. Sundal made for naivedyam (offering to God) is sans Onion and garlic. But if you are prefer, do add it while making it at home.
Prep time : 10 mins. Cooking time : 20 mins. Serves : 2
Channa Dal - 100 gms
Salt - to taste
Turmeric powder - a dash
Asafoetida - a generous pinch
Grated coconut (fresh) - 2 TBSP
Curry leaves + fresh coriander
Tempering: Mustard seeds, urad Dal, Green chillies (2), Grated Ginger (1 tsp)
1) Wash and pressure cook Channa Dal (Bengal gram) in as little water as possible for 2 whistles only with a pinch of turmeric. Else, boil them till al dente in a large pan with a pinch of salt too. Drain thoroughly.
2) In a skillet, heat oil. Splutter mustard and other tempering ingredients. Saute till ginger is slightly fried. Add the boiled Channa Dal, grated coconut, asafoetida and coriander-curry leaves and give it a quick stir.
3) Take care not to turn it very mushy !
It can create Vitamins and enzymes within themselves.
1 Bowl sprouts provides 40 mg of Vitamin C.
It increases the levels of Vitamin B1, Folic Acid and Biotin by 20-30% in our body.
Whole bean , Pulse, Seed or Grain can be sprouted
Calories - 100 kcal
20gms corn kernels, boiled
1/2 onion, chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
1/2 green capsicum, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder
2 tsp Lemon juice
In a vessel, boil the corn till tender.
In a salad bowl mix corn and all the above vegetables.
Add salt, red chilies, chaat masala and oregano powder.
Sprinkle lemon juice and serve.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), a hormone imbalance that causes infertility, obesity, and excessive facial hair in women, can also lead to severe mental health issues including anxiety, depression, and eating disorders.
Dietary guidelines to treat PCOS:
Weight loss of 5%-10% if overweight or obese in 3 months
Balanced carbohydrate intake.
Chose high fibre carbohydrate food or complex carbohydrates
Emphasize on lean protein foods
Consume 25-30% of calories from fats â€“unsaturated fatty acids & omega 3 fatty acids
Include2-3 servings of low fat dairy foods per day
Limit trans fatty acids
A mukti vitamin supplement is recommended with B12, specially for strict vegeteranians
Do not skip meals
Limit salt intake
Limit sugar intake
Add a wide variety of fruits and vegetables
Smaller and more frequent meals to control blood glucose level
Daily physical activity
These are very generalized guidelines. For treating PCOS and or PCOD amongst teenagers kindly contact my e-clinic http://360degreenutricare.zest.md/ for better results. Enter into a whole new world of Health & Nutrition. Stay fit and Stay Nutritious.
~ Dt. Deepalekha Banerjee
Developing healthy eating habits isn%u2019t as confusing or as restrictive as many people imagine. The first principle of a healthy diet is simply to eat a wide variety of foods. This is important because different foods make different nutritional contributions.
Secondly, fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes%u2014foods high in complex carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, low in fat, and free of cholesterol%u2014should make up the bulk of the calories you consume. The rest should come from low-fat dairy products, lean meat and poultry, and fish.
You should also try to maintain a balance between calorie intake and calorie expenditure%u2014that is, don%u2019t eat more food than your body can utilize. Otherwise, you will gain weight. The more active you are, therefore, the more you can eat and still maintain this balance.
Following these three basic steps doesn%u2019t mean that you have to give up your favorite foods. As long as your overall diet is balanced and rich in nutrients and fiber, there is nothing wrong with an occasional cheeseburger. Just be sure to limit how frequently you eat such foods, and try to eat small portions of them.
You can also view healthy eating as an opportunity to expand your range of choices by trying foods%u2014especially vegetables, whole grains, or fruits%u2014that you don%u2019t normally eat. A healthy diet doesn%u2019t have to mean eating foods that are bland or unappealing.
The following basic guidelines are what you need to know to construct a healthy diet.
1. Eat plenty of high-fiber foods%u2014that is, fruits, vegetables, beans, and whole grains. These are the %u201Cgood%u201D carbohydrates%u2014nutritious, filling, and relatively low in calories. They should supply the 20 to 30 grams of dietary fiber you need each day, which slows the absorption of carbohydrates, so there%u2019s less effect on insulin and blood sugar, and provides other health benefits as well. Such foods also provide important vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals (plant chemicals essential to good health).
2. Make sure to include green, orange, and yellow fruits and vegetables%u2014such as broccoli, carrots, cantaloupe, and citrus fruits. The antioxidants and other nutrients in these foods may help protect against developing certain types of cancer and other diseases. Eat five or more servings a day.
3. Limit your intake of sugary foods, refined-grain products such as white bread, and salty snack foods. Sugar, our No.1 additive, is added to a vast array of foods. Just one daily 12-ounce can of soda (160 calories) can add up to 16 pounds over the course of a year. Many sugary foods are also high in fat, so they%u2019re calorie-dense.
4. Cut down on animal fat. It%u2019s rich in saturated fat, which boosts blood cholesterol levels and has other adverse health effects. Choose lean meats, skinless poultry, and nonfat or low-fat or nonfat dairy products.
5. Cut way down on trans fats, supplied by hydrogenated vegetable oils used in most processed foods in the supermarket and in many fast foods.
6. Eat more fish and nuts, which contain healthy unsaturated fats. Substitute olive or canola oil for butter or stick margarine.
7. Keep portions moderate, especially of high-calorie foods. In recent years serving sizes have ballooned, particularly in restaurants. Choose a starter instead of an entr?e, split a dish with a friend, and don%u2019t order supersized anything.
8. Keep your cholesterol intake below 300 milligrams per day. Cholesterol is found only in animal products, such as meats, poultry, dairy products, and egg yolks.
9. Eat a variety of foods. Don%u2019t try to fill your nutrient requirements by eating the same foods day in, day out. It is possible that not every essential nutrient has been identified, and so eating a wide assortment of foods helps to ensure that you will get all the necessary nutrients. In addition, this will limit your exposure to any pesticides or toxic substances that may be present in one particular food.
10. Maintain an adequate calcium intake. Calcium is essential for strong bones and teeth. Get your calcium from low-fat sources, such as skim milk and low-fat yogurt. If you can%u2019t get the optimal amount from foods, take supplements.
11. Try to get your vitamins and minerals from foods, not from supplements. Supplements cannot substitute for a healthy diet, which supplies nutrients and other compounds besides vitamins and minerals. Foods also provide the %u201Csynergy%u201D that many nutrients require to be efficiently used in the body.
12. Maintain a desirable weight. Balance energy (calorie) intake with energy output. Exercise and other physical activity are essential.
13. If you drink alcohol, do so in moderation. That is one drink a day for women, two a day for men. A drink is defined as 12 ounces of beer, 4 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of 80-proof spirits. Excess alcohol consumption leads to a variety of health problems. And alcoholic beverages can add many calories to your diet without supplying nutrients.
The easiest form of exercise and the best way to keep our muscles toned and one of the best ways to provide proper lubrication to our joints, is definitely a Brisk Walk. Since it suits all age groups and requires no investment in terms of any instrument or equipment, people have no qualms about getting into the routine of a Brisk Walk; however, if not done in the right way, it could lead to serious injuries and ill effects, as well.
Today, we shall revisit a few points to ponder upon the right ways of going ahead with the Brisk Walk Regimen.
A FEW FACTS ON THE BENEFITS
Walking lowers the stress hormone cortisol, does burn some calories (not very many)
Walking is not an only an exercise but rather a necessity
One issue with walking is that many insist on aerobic power walking, not realizing leisure walking is likely the better option. This highlights the difference between weight loss thinking and fat loss thinking
A study out of Japan published in the Journal of Physiological Anthropology in March of 2007 showed some very interesting metabolic effects of walking, especially when done in a natural environment
It concluded that walking in a nature setting like the woods or parks, seems to have an even greater impact on overall health
This study shows that exercise is not always just about calories, but that the hormonal activity generated in response to the surrounding environment, is also having a positive impact
TIME OF WALK
If you are keen for the outdoors, then the best possible suitable time would be when the sun is still smiling at us, perhaps in the morning
This is due to the fact that post sunset or during the night, plants consume oxygen but they don%u2019t release any
Although plants respire 24/7, the net effect during the day time is that plants produce more oxygen than they consume
So it is for us to draw in the benefits of inhaling more oxygen in the fresh morning air
Energy consumption is same no matter what time of day a person walks. So alternatively, you could go according to your convenience
Outdoors could be enjoyed by immersing the soul in the sounds of the mother nature, including the chirping of the birds. All of which has a soothing effect on our mind as well and general wellbeing
THE WAY TO GO ABOUT IT
Walk a little initially and then gradually increase the pace and time
Warm up and cool down with a slow, gentle walk to ease you up
Take light, easy steps and make sure your heel touches down before your toes
Walking on the grass rather than the concrete flooring is considered any time better
Choose walks that suit your age and fitness level
Brisk walking means that you can still talk but not sing, and you may be puffing slightly
Keep a moderately intense pace about 15 or 16 minutes per mile
It is suggested that a 30 to 45 minutes of walk does show good results
WHAT TO EAT AND WHEN
We should eat one hour prior to going for the walk
The reason being if we walk in empty stomach or perhaps 2 to 3 hours after a meal, then the chances of our sugar level will plunge down and this may lead to falling unconscious
You could have plain lime water, juice of 1/4th lemon in 1 glass of water, if need be during the walk
POST WALK TIPS
Since, protein needs to be replenished in the muscle mass, one can have sugarless curd, after finishing the walk
Alternatively, few roasted nuts like almond, pistachios or groundnuts. Else a vegetable salad mixed with these nuts and lime juice. Your muscles will be happy to get the surge of protein.
One-hour walk does not require us to have water, so it can be avoided
Plain lime juice is good, which need not be sour at all. You could also have %u201Chomemade Indian gooseberry juice(amla)%u201D
Try to avoid having sugary drink or heavy carbs immediately after the walk, as the burnt down calories will be knock back
BEST SUITED CLOTHING & FOOTWEAR
Wear lose clothing that is made of a breathing fabric and can soak in the perspiration well
Dressing too warmly can increase sweating and build up body temperature, which can cause skin irritations.
A good pair of walking shoes would help
Wrong footwear or walking action can cause foot or shin pain, blisters and injuries to soft tissues
Make sure your shoes fit snugly and have appropriate heel and arch support
The latest research however, emphasises on bare foot walking. This practice is being propagated by Model Milind Soman, who has been conducting quite a number of walkathons in Namma Bengaluru, in the last few years
Cotton socks are the best to soak in the foot perspiration
REAPING MORE BENEFITS
During the walk, swing your arms back and forth keeping the elbow at 90 degrees
This will mobilize the shoulder joints and heal any pain that arises from the considerable amount of time spent on keyboards and keypads
This helps strengthen the muscles of the arms and back
Do not take shower immediately after the walk, with cold water
Have few sips of lime juice and let the perspiration dry out completely
Those with back pain (especially the lower back) and knee pain, should avoid walking on an inclined planes or path
If you happen to suffer from any condition, and intend to start Brisk Walking, it is always better to consult your doctor first. Discuss whether you need to take any precautions and follow your doctor%u2019s suggestions about whether you should go for brisk walk, and also how you should go about it.
I would like to conclude by what the experts have to say:
%u201CWalking in general is great so don%u2019t get obsessed with whether you are doing it right. Any walking is perfect, but if you want to get a little more out of your walking you can make two simple changes:
Change your power walking to leisure walking
Whenever possible walk in nature based settings
Emotions play an important role on Heart.
Negativity causes stress, leads to depression and has an adverse effect on health. On the other hand positive emotions boost up your heart. It eliminates stress and depression, increases productivity and creativity and builds trust among the peers.
Look on the brighter side of things and you will see your heart health improve. Remember that just by stressing about it, the problems wont wash away, stay calm and work towards life situations handed to you.
Smile!Eat Right!Share with Family and Friends!Stay Healthy.
Those who dont find time for exercise will find time for managing illness- Proverb
Though it is Easily said than done. Living with exercise or making it as an healthy addiction would actually prevent or delay such disorders. Every step that you take counts.
Many foods contain probiotics (the good bacteria that help your body maintain health) and prebiotics (fiber that good bacteria eat but that isn%u2019t digestible by humans). However, it%u2019s difficult to get enough probiotics strictly through food. You need to take a probiotic supplement to get enough probiotics in your diet to maintain good health, especially if you%u2019re treating a particular illness (such as antibiotic-associated diarrhea).
Fermented foods %u2014 which used to be a larger part of the human diet because fermentation was a great way of preserving food %u2014 contain probiotics. Fermentation is the process of adding yeast to a food to change its structure. Primarily, sugars and starches are broken down during fermentation.
One thing to keep in mind: It%u2019s the live bacteria in the food you eat that make it full of healthy probiotics. Since heat destroys the bacteria, you need to make sure that your yogurt, for example, says live or active cultures on the label. Some yogurts are pasteurized, which kills the bacteria. Those yogurts with live cultures add them back in after the pasteurization process.
Probiotic-rich foods include the following:
%u2022Yogurt (with live cultures)
%u2022Dark chocolate (a good, high-quality chocolate)
%u2022Natto (a fermented soybean)
%u2022Some soft cheeses (such as Gouda) contain Lactobacilli bacteria
%u2022Sourdough bread may also contain Lactobacilli
%u2022Fruits such as bananas and tomatoes
%u2022Vegetables like artichokes, green beans, leeks
Dry fruits are considered as rich source of nutrients. Several fruits that come under dry fruits category are: Cashews, Walnuts, Almonds, Raisins, Pistachio, Date, Peanuts, Hazelnut etc.
Cashewnuts contains healthy fats.
They are Rich in Monounsaturated fats, can be used to reduce cholesterol levels, Cashews are known to have one of the lowest fat contents of any nut.
Cashew nuts provide protein and fiber.
Cashews are a good source of potassium, B vitamins and folate and contains useful amounts of magnesium, phosphorous, selenium and copper.
Cashews are beneficial in promoting stronger bones.
Raisins are considered as priority food during the recovery after successful treatment of a disease
Raisins are used for treatment of constipation. They are soaked in a glassful of drinking water for a day or two and eaten early in the morning after removal of the stones.
They are also helpful in constipation, acidosis, anemia, fever.
Raisins are good source of iron that is why they are good for anaemic people.
Raisins also help to gain weight so give it a watch when you are consuming them..
Glucose and fructose are present in natural form in Dates.
Dates is known as a good lexative as small quantities of nicotine are found in the Dates.
Dates are rich in potassium, iron, phosphorous,maganese, copper and magnesium.
Dates are considered to be the best diet for confinement of the women. AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY recommends intake of 20-35 grams of dietary fibre in a day,which u can take from dates.
Helpful in constipation, weight gain, diarrhea, healthy heart, abdominal cancer and intestinal disorders.
They are helpful in prevention of cancer, because they have very low amout of saturated fat.
Almonds are beneficial in controlling diabetes, by lowering blood sugar after meals.
Almonds provide essential anti-oxidants so they are helpful in the process of detoxification.
Almond is considered very useful in both mental and physical development of human body.
Good quantities of Iron, copper, phosphorus and vitamin B1.
Almond oil relieves headache and its use on the scalp helps to cure several hair problems.
Almonds are also used in constipation problems.
Walnuts have good amount of omega-3 fatty acids, alpha-linolenic acid (ALA) that is why they protect Arteries after a High-Fat Meal.
Walnuts are known as "brain food," because of the wrinkled brain-like appearance of their shells, and because of their high concentration of omega-3 fats.
Help in preventing Gallstones.
Protect bone health. .
Good quantities of Iron, copper, phosphorus and vitamin B1.
Lowering the risk of weight gain.
Phool Makhana or Makhana Phool is a common food item, it is also known as foxnut, makhana or gorgon plant.
Basically phool makhana belongs to a family called %u2018lilly%u2019. Lillly is a flowering plant, that produces starchy white seeds and those seeds are purely edible. This plant is generally cultivated in low land areas of Indian, china and Japan.
Makhana helps in Cardiac Protection and builds the action in dysentery and frequent urination.
Makhana is an anti-oxidant food item.
It can be easily digested by all the age groups.
Phool makhana has astringent property, hence it gives relief from diarrhea and helps to improve the appetite. Merely 25 to 30 grams phool makhana is considered as a healthy food/diet for the whole family. Makhana helps in regulating the blood pressure, it also relieves from numbness and aching near waist and knees. This food item is extremely suitable for arthritis, impotence and premature aging
Phool makhana is sweet to neutral in nature. Therefore, helps to detoxify the spleen, reinforce the kidneys and nourish the blood.
It is also used for treating the insomnia, palpitations and irritability.
Phool makhana is highly recommended for the women during pregnancy and post natal weaknesses
If you've ever tried to lose weight, you must be familiar with those extremely sharp hunger pangs that hit you around 4.30pm to 5pm.
Why the HUNGER PANGS? They rarely have anything to do with an actual physiological need and are mostly based on your moods.
For most of us, its our coffee/ tea break at work when coffee just isn't enough. Undoubtedly, if you don't plan your meals and don't keep your meals handy, you're going to dive into the urge of eating fat loaded snacks which are mostly deep fried like samosas, kachoris, donuts or packaged salt loaded snacks like Haldiram's products or may be a bag of chips. They're either stacked in your kitchen cupboard or in the office pantry.
Its most important to know that there are ALWAYS healthier options available.
The 4 tips are as follows-:
1. Choose from Carb-based snacks like fruits- an apple, pear, banana and guava. They also take care of the vitamins and minerals required by our body.
Protein based snacks like egg/paneer/chicken sandwich, boiled egg, veg and cheese sandwich, cooked bhuna chana, hummus with pita, idli with chutney, an energy bar, flavored yogurt, a cheese cube with a cheese cracker.
Healthy Fat based snacks like baked almonds/walnuts/pistachios, a slice of cheese, a handful peanuts and a 50g dark chocolate bar.
An interesting combination of the above will also work well like an apple and walnut salad, pomegranate with yoghurt, etc.
2. Forks and knives over fingers- Its easier to incorporate time between two bites when we cut the food using forks or knives. This way we eat slowly and less.
3. Nutritious Liquids - Drink water before eating the food. You will eat lesser compared to eating all alone. You can also replace your milk tea/ coffee with green tea, lemonade, Rooh Afza, ginger ale, a milkshake, fruit smoothie, etc.
4. Train your Stomach- Stop eating right before your stomach feels full. Once you train your stomach in doing so, you will never overeat.
Remember, if you don't pick your foods you will eat whatever comes in hand and will eventually regret later.
1. Don’t skip meals.
2. Eat more frequently.
3. Go for home-made foods.
4. Stock healthy foods in your kitchen and refrigerator.
5. Include all food groups in your diet plan.
6. Choose smaller plates and bowls, this helps in eating less.
7. Have some food at home before leaving for any party.
8. Avoid added sugar as well as salt.
9. Add fruits and vegetables to your dishes whenever possible.
10. Avoid zero carb or restricted diet plans.
No one has ever thought of how amazing one can be if fitness is maintained.
"THOSE OLD INDIAN NAVAL CADET-SHIP DAYS WHICH INSPIRES YOU TO REMAIN IN FITNESS THROUGHOUT & PASS THE SAME TO ALL"
Imagine, Early Teenage,Early Twenties,Early Thirties......WAIT,in whatsoever age you are, if you really enjoy your fitness or yeah you are addicted to Fitness then You will be the one enjoying life to the fullest.
Just think, you are ready to hang around anywhere.
Just think,people count you as a lively figure.
Just think,people love to be in your company.
Just think,you are an inspiration to many.
Just think,you are admired by many known & obviously by many secret admirers too.
Just think,you are been followed by many.
And,when it comes to fitness,the first step to start is with "THE FOOD",OOOpz! "THE RIGHT FOOD".
If you are heading towards Fitness,
you are looking for the transformation or
you are a fitness freak then you need to enjoy the Healthy Eating Habits.
One should just wonder how a person can be,if he/she is completely fit & enjoying life.No cribbing,No complaining,No negative thoughts : Simply enjoying the beautiful life with the right regime & the right food.